Maxwell Barber is a professional barber with over 15 years of experience in the industry. He specializes in men's haircuts and styles, particularly fades and classic cuts. He is passionate about sharing his knowledge and expertise to help men look their best.
Hey there! If you're looking to rock that iconic 80s big hair, you've come to the right place. I'm here to guide you through the steps to achieve that voluminous, larger-than-life hairstyle that was all the rage back in the day. So, let's dive in and get you ready to channel your inner 80s rockstar!
1. Start with the right haircut: To achieve that 80s big hair, you'll want to start with a cut that adds volume and texture. Consider going for a layered cut with longer lengths on top and shorter sides. This will create the perfect foundation for your big hair look.
2. Prep your hair: Before styling, it's important to prep your hair properly. Start by washing your hair with a volumizing shampoo and conditioner to add some extra oomph. Towel dry your hair gently, leaving it slightly damp for styling.
3. Apply a volumizing product: To give your hair that extra lift and hold, apply a volumizing mousse or spray. These products are designed to add body and texture, making it easier to achieve that 80s big hair. Work the product through your hair, focusing on the roots and mid-lengths.
4. Blow-dry with a round brush: Grab a round brush and a blow dryer to create volume while drying your hair. Start by flipping your head upside down and blow-drying your hair from the roots to the ends. Use the round brush to lift the hair at the roots, creating height and volume. Once your hair is dry, flip it back and continue blow-drying while using the round brush to shape and style your hair.
5. Tease for extra volume: Teasing, also known as backcombing, is a key technique for achieving that 80s big hair. Take small sections of hair near the crown of your head and backcomb them using a fine-toothed comb. Gently comb the hair downwards towards the roots to create volume and texture. Remember, a little teasing goes a long way, so be gentle and avoid excessive teasing to prevent damage.
6. Set with hairspray: To ensure your big hair stays in place all day, finish off with a generous spritz of strong-hold hairspray. Hold the can about 12 inches away from your head and mist the hairspray evenly over your hair. This will help lock in the volume and keep your 80s big hair intact.
7. Maintain your big hair: Throughout the day, you may need to give your hair a little boost to maintain that 80s big hair look. Carry a small comb or brush with you to gently fluff up the roots and revive the volume. You can also use a bit of dry shampoo at the roots to absorb any excess oil and add extra lift.
And there you have it! By following these steps, you'll be able to achieve that iconic 80s big hair look. Remember, practice makes perfect, so don't be afraid to experiment and find the style that works best for you. Get ready to turn heads and rock that retro vibe with your fabulous big hair!
For more tips, tutorials, and inspiration on men's haircuts and hairstyles, be sure to check out Hair Fades. We've got all the expert advice you need to keep your hair looking on point.